Gray_dia.gif - 2241 Bytes


By Angie Debo and Winnie Branen, Marshall, Okla.

The six Frantz brothers of Enid planned and organized the Denver, Enid and Gulf railroad, starting to build s.e. out of Enid 1902. At first this was known as the Frantz road. The line later was sold to the Santa Fe. The station 20 miles s.e. of Enid was named “Douglas” for Edmund Frantz’s only son who died in armed service. Another of the family, Frank Frantz, served in 1906-07 as the last of the Territorial governors.

In May, 1896, a Christian Union Church was organized in a sod school house ˝ mile e. of the site which in 1902 was to become the Douglas station with a town developing around it.

A post office named “Onyx” had been functioning since May 23, 1894, on the NE 1/4, S 29, of Otter Township, on the farm owned by Reuben W. Spencer; which was 1 ˝ miles n.e. of the church. In 1903, the post office name was officially changed to Douglas and moved to the developing town on the railroad.

The Denver, Enid, and Gulf railroad never reached its expressed terminals. When the Santa Fe acquired it, the line became a connecting link between its south bound Texas line at Guthrie, and its west bound California line at Kiowa, KS. Since the Santa Fe already had a station named Douglass in Kansas, (between W infield and Augusta) it revived the old name of Onyx for the Oklahoma Station. The people of Douglas fumed and fretted for years about the inconsistency until their elected representative introduced a bill in the state legislature requiring a railroad to use the name of the local town as the name of the station. The bill was general in scope , but every one knew that in all Okla. Terr only Douglas was affected. Thus, the second station southeast of Enid still carries the name given in 1902 in memory of Douglas Frantz.

(Copied verbatim from the Garfield County Book, Vol. II)

Gray_dia.gif - 2241 Bytes

Return To History Index Page

Contributions Are Welcome
Email Contact
© 1996 bytes by betty