Blue_flo.gif - 4087 Bytes

I-ps2.gif - 684 BytesRichard Cutter and Mary Etta GreenwayI-ps2.gif - 684 Bytes

From The Cutter Family - Four Hundred Years, volume 2

Family Group Record

Greenway Pedigree Chart

Cutter Pedigree Chart

Newspaper Article, Probably a Crescent, OK, paper

Thomas R. Cutter and Miss Mary Etta Greenway, living southeast of the city, have decided to walk lifes pathway together. Judge Foster tied the knot good and tight this mornin.

By Marlene Skouby Tappan, Granddaughter, 1995

I never had the privilege of knowing my Grandpa Dick Cutter, since he had, long before my arrival, gone home to be with Jesus when my Mom was only 12 years old. But I can tell you what I've heard and what I have put together in my mind of my Grandfather. I won't try for dates, because I can't remember dates, it's as simple as that.

I've heard about a mighty man who was conscientious to always do what is right. He would raise his own father's family before he would have a family of his own. That speaks volumes of his character. I've heard of a terrible and violent flood in Guthrie, Oklahoma, that would wipe out all his belongings and yet this man, who started from scratch, came back to own a large farm at Crescent, Oklahoma, and more property in Enid, Oklahoma. This farm still brings blessings to his children and their children and their children's children. All this tells me of a hard working man, determined and persistent.

I know that he found a lovely young wife who's name was Mary Etta but everyone called her Etta. They had eight children. One little one, called Baby Ellen, only lived a few months and it was a terrible blow to this family to lose her. My Mom (May Cutter), Aunt Reva and Aunt Ruby refer to my Grandpa as Papa. I've heard them say that Papa sat up with them at night when they were sick and that he could cook better than Mama. That he would do the awful duty of emptying those "slop jars". I believe he had a great love for his wife and his children and probably had to help with the ones old enough to not still be nursing or yet in the womb. There was a time that they lived in a dugout on that farm and that Papa kept it cleaner and the dish towels whiter than anyones.(A pretty good trick in that red dirt country).

The house in Enid, located at 1114 E. Broadway, was very nice and there was a place for cows and they sold milk for a while. Streetcar tracks ran in the street on Broadway and they could easily go to town and back. I was born in that house and in fact I spent the night of my 16th birthday in the same bed and same room that I was born in. That doesn't happen much any more.

My Mom says that Papa was a horse trader and he always had mighty fine horses, even a crooked neck mule that loved to dunk her in the stock tank every chance he got. They had cows, chickens, pigs and geese and lots of hard work. Everybody had a job to do.

When my Mom was saved at a Revival, her papa insisted that she be baptised in a deep pool of water on Skeleton Creek. Mom says it was winter, the the water was icy cold, but her Mama said it wouldn't hurt her and it didn't. But she does remember it! It also tells me that my Grandparents had sound beliefs in Christianity and that is important to know.

My Grandfather would die suddenly. A shock to all that this giant of a man who seemed so healthy and so very loved was gone. My Mom has no memory of those days following his death or his funeral. She remembers a man putting her on a horse to go for help when Papa was stricken and then the man decided to go himself because, after all, my Mom was only twelve. Aunt Ruby, Aunt Reva and Aunt Mary lived in the house at Enid. Ruby already worked for SWBT and overheard a telephone conversation that someone said to another "I heard Dick Cutter dropped dead this morning" but she hoped she had misunderstood. When she went home for lunch she asked Reva and Mary if they had any news from the farm and they hadn't so she was relieved, but it was true. Richard Junior would faint at the news and could hardly be brought back to consciousness.

My Grandmother Cutter must have so dearly loved this man, that she was never the same again and withdrew within herself and stayed at the farm for many years. When I came along as her 9th grandchild, well that wasn't too exciting for her anymore. I believe her last days were spent struggling with the disease we now call Alzheimers. She talked only of Ma or Pa and her brothers and sisters, but she'd still sing grand old gospel songs in her sweet clear voice.

I know I would have loved that man my Mom calls Papa and I know that the things I have heard about him have all been good. A man can't leave a better legacy than that, can he?

Thomas Richard Cutter, an old pioneer, having come to this country in the early days and homesteaded a farm four miles north of Crescent on which he departed this life Thursday, August 7th, 1924, was born near Bloomington, Illinois, April 29th, 1866, being 58 years, 3 months and 9 days old at his death. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife, four daughters and three sons. One infant daughter preceded him to the Great Beyond. He also leaves two sisters and _______ brothers; Mrs. Simon Irey, of -------------ma, Mrs. Mary Johnson of Colorado Springs, Colorado, C--------------, John and Nate Cutte-------------, Oklahoma. He------------loving husband and ---------- a member of the Methodist Church since childhood. He was also a member of the M. W. Lodge. Rev. W. I. Smith, of Luther, Oklahoma, and a former pastor of his, conducted the funeral services; which were held Sunday, August 10th. (Note: part of the paper was missing, it was dated August 14, 1924)


Words cannot express our heartfelt thanks to our many friends and neighbors for the kindness and help they extended to us through our hour of sorrow for our dear husband and father. We also thank the M. W. A. Lodge and other friends and relatives for the beautiful floral offerings.

From the Enid Morning News, December 25, 1963

Final rites will be at 2:00 pm Thursday, at the Methodist Church, for Mrs. Mary E. Cutter, Crescent, who died at her home Monday. Rev. E. E. Holmberg will officiate and burial will be in the Crescent Cemetery under the direction of Abernathy Funeral Home. A native of Albany, Missouri, she moved to Guthrie with her parents. She married her husband, Thomas Richard, and they moved to Crescent. Later the family moved to Enid. She was a member of the Methodist Church in Crescent. Survivors include four daughters, Mrs. Harold Stiger, Mrs. A. L. Oliver, Mrs. Russell Best, all of Enid; and Mrs. Fred Skouby, Bixby; two sons, Thomas R. Jr. and Albert of Crescent; one sister, Mrs. W. W. Willson, Guthrie. Her husband, a daughter and son preceded her in death.

By Phyllis Best Lewis

Richard (Dick) Cutter and Uncle Orville(Cutter) did not make the Run. Orville was in Covington at the time living with his mother, Caroline Fry Cutter. Richard was living in Guthrie and while there a flood came and washed away Richard's house and he had only his team and wagon left. Then Richard came up to Crescent and homesteaded the farm there. What attracted Grandpa to the home place at Cresent was the beautiful spring on the land just to the east that flowed on to his land like a river. It provided an abundance of sparkling clear water. Mother does not remember that it ever ran dry. Uncle Orville homesteaded the farm across the highway west.

Aunt Ellen and Uncle Simon used to live on Orville's place, later they moved up to Douglas. Aunt Ellen was Richard and Orville's sister. Uncle Nate and Uncle John were her (Reva) dad's brothers. Caroline Cutter gave her 160 acres to them, 80 acres each for John and Nathan because Richard had his land and all of the others had their's so she gave hers to the two boys. There was no division. Richard had his, Ellen had hers, Orville had his. Orville was crippled. He caught his foot in a chair as a child. He had "white swelling"and was crippled but one time he walked from Covington to Crescent! (slowly)

Aunt Ethel (Eith) was married to Uncle John. Aunt Bessie (Clara) was married to Sam. Edith and Bessie were sisters and their maiden name was Dubbs. Sam and Bessie had three girls, Irene, Naomi and Gladys. They lived in Frederick, Oklahoma, for a time. Before they were married Sam had a covered wagon for fun. (He really didn't need it) John and Ethel had five girls and one son: Opal, Florence, Dora, Eula Fern, Dona Marie and Charlie. (Charlie's son is Everett Ray)

All of the children of Richard and Mary Etta Cutter were born on the farm at Crescent. Reva and Ruby were born on the east side (different house). Dr. W. A. Kendall was the Doctor for all. Richard was the first child born in the house that is there now, as well as all the rest of the children.

Richard donated the land for the school, to be returned when it wasn't needed any more. It was called the Fairview School and nick-named "Racket". When May was a baby they moved to Crescent so they would be close to the school in town. It was more convenient because of the weather, etc.

Fairview school money-making projects were Pie Suppers, Oyster Suppers and Box Suppers. Also at Banner School, 3 miles west, they had these activities - had fun! They also had talent shows and spelling contests. The school by Uncle Joe Gibson's had a nick-name of "Cracker Box School".

They drove a single horse and buggy to school. Crescent had a "Trip Around the World"; they designated houses as different countries. They decorated them to represent each country. Carl Kress was one of the young teachers. Mother remembers that a lot of people didn't like him because he was so young. They had good, clean fun on Hallowee. Dr. Butler was another Crescent doctor.

The family shopped at Mulhall, Crescent and Lovell. Dad (Richard) used to go to Mulhall and bring back apples. One time he brought back 7 bushels for the winter. A grocery store was located 3 miles north of the farm. It was called "Standard Grocery".

The Methodist Church was out in the country. Everybody was immersed in Rock Creek or on the Baker place at the Baptism place. Everybody attended this church regardless of how they were raised. Later they went to Crescent to the Methodist Church.

At home they had an Edison Phonograph with a big horn with a lot of cylinder records - a big number, 100 or more. They had a Beckwith Organ with 6 octaves, sold by Sears & Roebuck, a piano, zither, violin, harmonica and guitars. They visited and had music and entertainment in the home.

Ransom and Nellie Moffits were neighbors north of them on the Hopkins place. The Caton's also lived there and later moved to Enid and had a lumber yard. Ross Caton played the guitar and Mother accompanied him on the piano. (Ray & Roy were identical twins, Ross, Opal and Grace Caton).

In the home they had Temperance Meetings, the same as Womens Christian Temperance Union today. Mother and Ruby and all the neighbor children sang. Everyone attended because all were christians. The "Bakers" were; Laura, Robert, Opal, Georgie and Riley. They always had a horse to ride. "Baldy" was one of them and "Topsy" was another. They had registered hogs, stallion, horses, and cattle stock. The barn was always full of stock, hay, etc. They always had an abundance of everything. Everything was nice. The home was well furnished and all of the neighbors were well-to-do.

They had a smoke house and smoked pork. Potatoes were kept in the cellar. They had a tenant house between Uncle Orville's and Richard's land. The Alexander's lived there. Her name was Daisy and she was a teacher. They had 2 girls and a boy. They raised cotton on the south place. They had a house at that location also.

One day mother remembers that the family cat came to school and came right over to her. She played with the cat and had it follow her finger and disturbed the who class. She had to take it out.

The music teacher for Mother, Ruby and Mary (and maybe May) was Minnie Prince. Her house may still be there on the highway in Crescent. The front door was in the corner of the building. From Highway 74, 3 miles west, was Lovell, Oklahoma. They took the cream to Lovell and some to Crescent. Mother's Dad tested cream at Crescent. Havenstrites owned country up there and another school was near them.

Romaine Meyer's folks had the bank in town. He had one sister, Senora Byers. At the south place one day some goats got caught in the fence. Their horns were caught and the boys got the goats out and the goats butted them. They said they should have left them there!

The Beckwith Organ was sold to the Hall's before they came to Enid and they brought the piano with them.

The Bartletts lived north on the way to the North 80 and the left side. They had Asa, Earl and Roy.

At the spelling contests Mother was good. Three times she won the prize at the Fairview Country School. The first transportation was a double seated buggy called a Surrey - 2 horse drawn. Later they got a car when they first came in.

After Aunt Ellen and Uncle Simon moved from Uncle Orville's place, Gene and Stella Strange lived there. Later, Albert and Juanita (Cutter) lived there and during that time they had a baby that did not live and is buried in the cemetery at Crescent.

The barn at the farm had 17 stantions where the cows were milked. Mother and Ruby used to bring the cattle in. They also fed the calves, separated the milk and cream. They helped their Dad shock the wheat. They all worked hard and played hard and had fun, fun, fun!

Return to Pioneer Index Page

Return to Garfield County Genealogists Page - Contact information can also be found there
Come Again!
Garfield County Genealogists, Inc.
P. O. Box 1106, Enid, OK 73702

© 1996 bytes by betty